Thursday, April 23, 2009

Trousers

Yesterday a girl at work was wearing the same pants as I was. My first thought was that it was convenient that in my position behind the desk she couldn't see my pants, consequently avoiding a potentially awkward--though probably humorus--conversation about how we both have good taste and etc. My second thought was, "Those look even better on her than on me," thus highlighting one of my little vanities (my taste and individuality in clothes), because I honestly can't remember ever thinking that before. No, usually when I come across someone with the same article of clothing, I tell myself (with a metaphorical pat on the back) that it looks better on me. I reveal this now, in a public way, as a sort of penance.

But I'm also quite proud of myself, because when I thought that thought about the pants looking better on her, I was not in the least upset about it. Perhaps my ego is growing more tempered.

Just as a side note, I keep seeing matches of my clothes on TV shows. It's kind of trippy to have the fake world and the real world collide like that.

7 comments:

Catherine Faux said...

I have those pants too!

Ro Ro Riot said...

Ha ha ha! I bet they look super good on you.

Ro Ro Riot said...

Hilarious note: yesterday, after posting this, that woman came to the desk again. And even though we were both wearing a different pair of pants than we had been the day before, we were still wearing matching pants! It's almost creepy.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, double matching pants *is* creepy. Maybe she has been watching what you wear and she deliberately went out and bought her whole wardrobe based on yours.

Natascha said...

To see if she really is copying you, try wearing some bejeweled pants. If she wears them too, then you know she is copying you because no one else in the world would wear bejeweled pants to work.

Carrie said...

Maybe she is your fashion twin? Separated at birth.

Ro Ro Riot said...

I don't know what would be creepier...copy cat, or fashion twin separated at birth. Though I guess I could look at either as a good thing too.

And Natascha, you forget that we live in DC, where anyone is liable to do anything, including wearing bejeweled pants to work. You should see some of the kooky clothes people wear to the office.