Friday, April 03, 2009

Empty Pot Syndrome


Before getting married I cooked. I didn't get too creative, but I did cook. Now that we're married both Jordan and I cook; whoever gets home first or is the least stressed out/tired/sick usually takes care of it. The difference between before marriage and after marriage is that before marriage it was just me, so I didn't care if I couldn't come up with something good to eat and resorted to Beef Ramen. After marriage, I worry about making sure Jordan gets a real meal. And I've discovered that the hardest part about making real meals is coming up with real meals to make. I mean, it doesn't take long to get really sick of having the same sort of dishes every night.

Tonight it's my turn to make dinner because Jordan's wasting away at school, studying. He's going to be really hungry when he gets home. Once again I find myself staring into our cupboards and wondering what I could possibly make that sounds appetizing. When I get fed up with staring into the cupboards I stare at the empty pots and pans, willing food to appear in them like they appeared on the empty dishes of the lost boys in Never Never Land. If that happened for me, I'd definitely shout "Bangarang!"

I found a site with some tasty sounding easy dinner recipes, but as I went through the recipes I realized that we don't have the ingredients. We just don't have enough space in cupboards, mini-fridge or minier-freezer to store a lot. I guess the answer to my problem is to plan meals in advance. Then we'd have the ingredients. But that doesn't help me right now. Of course, it doesn't help me to be writing this post either, but I guess it feels like a shout for help into the cosmos, and maybe after hitting the button to "Publish Post" I will receive divine culinary revelation...

12 comments:

Any Girl said...

HOW I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING...ON A LESSER LEVEL OF DEDICATION, OF COURSE...GOOD LUCK!!!

Catherine Faux said...

Here it is: Take out. It works in two ways. Let someone else be creative and skilled. Put it in your own dishes, dispose of the trash entirely, and then take the credit.

CFaux said...

101 Recipes for Top Ramen. Will have to get you this book! You can always list what you have in your cupboard, send to me, and I'll give you some ideas. I always enjoyed this challenge.

J. Faux said...

Any: I bet we could have some good moan sessions on this subject.

Catherine: Your idea is hilarious and ingenious. Unfortunately we also don't have much room in our garbage.

Mom Faux: Is that a real book? That's wonderful. I'm feeling like recipe books are a better route than websites. Jordan says he likes the challenge too, but I have a feeling I may have to take you up on the email offer one of these days.

Ro Ro Riot said...

Oops. That one that Jordan wrote? That was me.

CFaux said...

Yes! That is a real book. I'm ordering a couple from Amazon. One for me and one for you. The reviews have been good and I am deathly curious. Ya. Email me. I check my email ALL day and I LOVE to hear from you. You may be surprised what I can come up with. You remind me so much of.....me!

Catherine's suggestion is one I've actually done with NO guilt. I receive the compliments shamelessly. It's like when I wear my cool wigs and people go "cute haircut" and I say, "thank you"---I feel like a fraud but its also dumb to say, "it's a wig" coz people get SO disappointed. Hahaha. Know what I mean? :)

Here's another suggestion: Put on some make-up, look gorgeous, wear a cool apron and tell Jordan you lost track of the time and was about to make dinner when he arrived. Then make pancakes or scrambled eggs. Works like a charm.

Natascha said...

This happened to me and Hannah just the other day and I ate tortillas and jam for pretty much every meal for about 3 days.

So...there's a suggestion.

Natascha said...

PS It wasn't that tasty.

Ro Ro Riot said...

Mom Faux: So excited to get the book! Thanks! People probably get disappointed about the wigs because they're jealous they didn't think of it. When my hair was very short, I'd wear longer wigs. I thought it was hilarious that when I suddenly had longer hair people would ask if I'd cut it. I really should try Catherine's suggestion sometime.

And we've definitely had pancakes for dinner before. I didn't try the dressing up gorgeous part though. I'll have to try that next time.

Natascha: You made me laugh really hard because what you described was one of my staples when I lived in Seattle and had no money. It's not the best. You're right.

Anonymous said...

I love pancakes for dinner. Breakfast food is too delicious to be limited to certain hours of the morning.

Ro Ro Riot said...

I have a friend who says that he would eat cereal for every meal of the day if he had his way. Sometimes I feel the same way. But this, of course, would be terribly unhealthy.

LHall said...

Hey Rose - I can relate to the staring at the cupboard, fridge dilemma - about 35 years worth. Sandra told me someone in her ward told her husband that a woman has only so many meals in her. Of course, she is more my age than yours - therefore, I'm sorry, my dear,it will be a long while before you can pull that one on Jordan. I can give you and Bethany only "so much" sympathy but none-the-less I do feel for you. :):):)