Monday, October 06, 2008

The Emmy Awards



This weekend BYU Broadcasting flew me and my friends Hannah, Jim, and Kendall to Arizona so that we could attend the Rocky Mountain chapter Emmy Awards because a film we made called "The Christian Eye: An Essay Across England" was nominated for Best Student Production. We made the documentary a year ago, about English professor John Bennion's study abroad that involves taking writing students to England, having them hike 10-20 miles per day until their legs go numb, making them write about their experiences there, and actually changing their lives. The four of us must be really good at what we do because guess what? We won! That's right. We are Emmy award winners.

The ceremony was not quite what I thought it would be. I was thinking more...well, what you see on TV. What I felt when I was there was more...well, beauty pageant. It all played out at a not stunningly attractive ballroom in the Rennaissance Hotel in Scotsdale, Arizona. We had a cocktail/games/dinner party beforehand with fairly pricey drinks (I'm talking $4 for a water) and cold buffet food. (Although some of it was a perfect temperature and very good.) One part of the ballroom was partitioned off for the ceremony and a stage was placed at the front, with a podium and curtains and some screens. The picture below looks more exciting than it was in real life:



They decided not to allow speeches, which came as a huge relief to me because I was feeling a little socially anxious and did not want to get up in front of everyone and say anything, and also there were 91 categories to be announced. With speeches allowed it would have taken FOREVER. However, if I had given a speech it would have gone something like this: "I want to thank the BYU English and Media Arts departments, John, Kendall, Tom, Hannah, Jim, and digital media for this experience, because without this film I'd still be single, sad, and alone." (Actually Hannah and Jim and I had decided to take random names out of the program and thank them. Unfortunately we did not get this opportunity.)

Though there were things about the event that weren't quite up to my expectations, it was actually a lot of fun and I did appreciate all the work that went into it. Also, there were a lot of things that I really enjoyed. One, I got to wear a hot new dress. Two, I got to see some great friends again. Three, I got to stay in my very own super large hotel room with a balcony. Four, I WON AN EMMY AWARD! Five, the parting with Jordan made the reunion more exciting. And six, I got all of this for FREE. That's always a nice feeling.

7 comments:

Natascha said...

Congratulations, Rose!

Catherine Faux said...

That's so cool that you won! I'm also glad that you are now happily married....to Jordan, who is brothers with Leland, who's married to me and I can say that "SOMEONE IN MY FAMILY" and then later on "WE" won that Emmy. Sweet. We are so talented.

Hannah Faux said...

whoa that is soooo cool Rose. Congratulamations!!!!! And, ummm, I kinda wanna see that documentary...

CFaux said...

Good deal! We MUST post a photo of you with the award so we can brag about you! We are proud of you!

Dene said...

Rose--how awesome is that? Your dress looks HOT, almost as good as you do. I love that color on you. What a great award to get. You can put that on your resume now. The pictures are great, too. I wonder if KBYU is still showing the documentary.

Marianne said...

I knew one of my friends would win an emmy, it was bound to happen with all the famous friends I have. Congrats! Your legs look stunning in that dress anyway!

This is my first time on your blog, hopefully there will be something on here soon of your wits and humor. Miss you.

Jarred and Rachelle said...

Rose I found your blog and am adding to my list!! I'm excited that we can stay updated on the internet. How are things in D.C? Oh and congrats on your award. How FUN!!