Monday, September 29, 2008

Our New Apartment



This is our lovely long kitchen.





This is our unmade bed. Oh dear, what will our mothers say?





Our gourmet culinary arts center.





Myself sitting on our new IKEA love seat/sofa bed thingy.




Watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie on the old boob tube that came with the apartment.

--Jordan

We've been living in this English basement now for four weeks, to the day. I have spent most of my time here, sitting at the computer and looking for jobs. It's a nice enough apartment and it grows on you, so spending the last month of my life in mainly one room hasn't been too bad. Although the frequent outings into the main part of the city have alleviated any cabin fever I might develop. Jordan is spending most of his days at school, and when he comes home he is grateful we have the love seat now so he can relax. We're not totally moved in yet. The rest of my stuff arrived by mail a week or so ago, but half of Jordan's life is still at his old roommates' house in Crystal City. A sort of representation of his transition from singlehood to marriedhood? Perhaps he's feeling torn.

Or perhaps our car just can't fit all of his music equipment, computers, and books in one go. I have a lot of books too. And a very nice computer. Once we have all his stuff combined with mine our apartment will look something like a public library mixed with a music studio. Maybe then we'll have a lot more visitors. Of course, they'll have to phone ahead or yell loudly from the gate, as our "front" door is in back of the house and can only be accessed through the alley and a chain link gate, which is secured with a large padlock. Speaking of guests, did we mention that the love seat is also a sofa bed? A small one, perhaps, but perfectly capable of holding two horizontal bodies, if they didn't mind cuddling. Any takers?

--Rose

12 comments:

Catherine Faux said...

Looking good guys. I was hoping you two would get a blog. Now I can be in your business 24/7!

tracyjax said...

I'm a taker for spooning on the sofabed...with whom? we'll see...hopefully sooner than later! love it!

Bee Hives said...

Can I come live in your library/music studio? I'll even make Scottish oatmeal on occasion.

LHall said...

Looking good! It's nice to visualize where you two are. But can't you go down the street a ways and do something about that bailout package. They need a little help. We didn't send you to DC for nothing!

Anonymous said...

Great fun! But, Rose, you scared me to death when you said you lived the last month of your life!!!

Your mom is very eager (understatement) to visit you over the Christmas holidays. Her husband is a little reticent, feeling that maybe we ought to give the newly-weds some time on their own. Like a year or so. We'll see who wins. Any wagers?

By the way, you're worried about your mom seeing you unmade bed? (LOL ROF)

One question: How did you take that photo of yourself on the IKEA love seat/sofa bed thingy, Jordan? (grin)

CFaux said...

Hey! Make your bed you slackers!! HAHAHA! I STILL don't make my bed thought once in a blue moon I'll do it---like when we have company.

Shall we fly you guys down for the holidays? Let me know ASAP so I can get your plane tickets.

We may see you guys this weekend if things work out. I just need to find a sub for Monday. More later. I'll call when I get our itineraries firmed up.

Hey Rose---please don't feel that you have to make the bed just bec your mom-in-law may come see you. hahaha!!! Have you seen my room? It s veritable reservoir of unused kitsh and oh my gosh---SHOES everywhere!! I must kick that habit.

Leland Faux said...

You're place looks nicer than I how I pictured it in my head. I guess that's why they always say that real pictures are sometimes better than pictures you make up in your head.

Hannah Faux said...

Cool blog! And I like your pillows on your new love seat. Very smart, as they might say in England.

Mitzi said...

If you guys find me a hot professor (or lawyer, or heck I'll even take a politician) to share the love seat with me, I'll be there in a jiffy. And that padlock-gate-ultra-circuitous-route-to-your-door situation is no match for me. Especially with appropriate motivation. Over and out.

Dene said...

Hey! The unmade bed looks familiar, but you need some more pillows and clothes to be really true to the past. Maybe we can come to visit and cuddle on the couch if I ever get to doing the research I'm supposed to do at the Library of Congress. (Oh, my--I said the C word, which body of legislators is in hot water right now.) The picture of the Mall is great. I'd love to see all the cool stuff in DC if I do come--especially Rose and Jordan and maybe Ben, if he behaves himself.

Ro Ro Riot said...

Catherine, we were hoping you'd be in our business. But we can be in yours too, so...yeah.
Tracy, you're welcome even without a cuddler. Same with everyone else who is single and lonely.
Bess, now you owe us that oatmeal.
Sally, bailout? That was just a ruse. They're really trying to sell the US to Mexico.
Dad and Mom Card, no fair bringing up the past. And you're welcome here anytime. Really. Miss you guys. And Mom, we don't use the "C" word around here.
Miriam, I'll have Jordan check the list of professors at his law school.
Mom Faux, Jordan said you're going to try to come another weekend. I hope you do come. It would be a lot of fun to hang out in the city with you guys. And I promise not to even think about making our bed. (And PS. I think Jordan might have your shoe habit...at least he might have more shoes than I do.)
Leland, it's nicer than the way I picture it too.
Hannah, those pillows are my favorite thing in the apartment. Glad you noticed.

Natascha said...

The apartment looks better than I thought! Dad told me horror stories about bugs and stuff (even though I told him not to) so I wasn't sure what to expect. But it looks good!