Thursday, November 13, 2008

At Least One Good Reason for Text Messaging


It used to be that I made fun of people who seemed to be texting on their cell phones all the time (although for a while the cell phone was my main connection to Jordan and I was definitely texting a lot.) Or very young people with cell phones. And I'm going to say that I still think people can go overboard or over-young, but recently my 12 year old nephew earned a cell phone for getting good grades. And he's been texting me. And I love it. He always sounds very mature. He says things like, "Well, and how are you?" And he calls me "Rosey."

Last night when I was talking to my older sister and Sage texted her, I thought I'd play a joke on him and I texted him asking if he liked me better than my sister. He texted back, "What makes you say that?" And when I admitted that I was talking to her on the phone he responded with the word, "Cheater." This made both my sister and I laugh pretty hard. He's interacting with his aunts and uncles in the way we interact with each other. It's like suddenly he's entered the ranks of "adults" in the family.

And when I called home a couple Sundays ago and his family was visiting my parents for Sunday dinner his voice had changed! He sounds almost like his dad. I feel like in the past few months he's grown up suddenly and I missed it. (How did that happen?) But now because of texting and cell phones I still get to be part of it. So that when I visit home again maybe the only thing that he'll surprise me with will be his height. (He's already taller than I am, though, so how could it be that big of a surprise?)

4 comments:

tracyjax said...

that is so adorable--i want my nephew to get a phone now!

Ellen H said...

Is that Lazer Tag???

Dene said...

I'm glad he's interacting with you. He's a precious kid, even if when I hug him now, my face comes up to his chest. He's really shooting taller by the day. What a great thing to have the kind of connection with him that makes him feel like he CAN text you.

Ro Ro Riot said...

It IS lazer tag. I think they were our cousins' set.